Developed the Concept of the geological security of a large city, its realization is offered on the basis of the following principles:
1. Gradual solution of geological-ecological and engineering-geological problems; the establishment of short-, medium – and long-term goals and tasks; planned, consistent with gradually increasing the detail study of the geological environment of the city on the basis of the engineering-geological and geoecological mapping.
2. System approach to the mapping involves research on different hierarchical levels and scales: an overview and regional – outside the city (1:200 000), the city and the suburbs (1:100 000) town (1:50 000), district (1:25 000), microdistrict (1:10 000) quarter (1:5 000).
3. Priority – the identification of geological risk and solution of the tasks on its reduction at the sites of potential geological hazards (the principle of «hot spots»).
4. Priority is development and implementation of measures to ensure the geological safety for the territories of the enterprises and objects of the critical or clearly unfavorable geological situation (the principle of «concentration of efforts on local problems»).
5. Optimization is ensured by the minimally sufficient volume of research and data (quantitative aspect) and the correct choice of the objects of research, observation points and routes (qualitative aspect).
6. Complex approach involves the study of all the components of the geological environment, with application of a wide range of methods, with a priority on engineering-geological mapping.
7. The objectivity of the works implementation is ensured by the construction of the accurate cartographic model of the geological environment, which should fairly and adequately reflect the engineering-geological, hydrogeological and geoecological conditions.
8. Criteria and ecological compatibility of mapping – is ensured by objective criteria and indicators of the state of geological environment on the basis of a system of ranking the degree of engineering-geological complexity and environmental standards.
9. The efficiency and dynamism assumes unification, the systematization of the data, creation of information banks; modeling on the basis of a continuously updated electronic database, to reflect the current state of the geological environment.
10. The versatility of the system of provision of geological safety – is the ability to perform the functions of providing information, analysis, assessment, forecast.
The work is submitted to the International Scientific Conference «Nature management and environment protection», France (Paris), 14-21, October 2012, came to the editorial office on 13.09.2012.