Education, competence, professionalism, ability to educate themselves non-stop have become the measure of the importance of a modern person in the society. The range of life goals of a person who constantly self-educates is being expanded, and the probability of achieving them dramatically increases, while education is not only a prerequisite for a successful career, but a pass to the other, more saturated and vivid life, a different social environment.
Despite the fact that the significance of many professions that require higher education has declined, there are some changes, proving that this negative trend is ephemeral and is associated with major structural changes in various spheres. The necessity to improve the training system, creating a society where education, skills and professionalism define the social status of individuals and the prestige of various jobs raise questions of professional development of specialists, professional environment and ways of self-promotion in it.
The process of professional self-promotion is often considered in connection with the process of achieving success and building a career. D.E. Super divides success into professional and career. Professional success, in his view, is self-estimation of professional level achieved, the individual person´s perception of how fully his abilities are used and how broad his opportunities for self-expression offered by a particular profession are. To estimate the career success vertical mobility in professional space is important, and the person appreciates not only the level but also the tempo, speed, time of promotion. Overall assessment of a successful career is made up of the relations of objective and subjective assessments of achievements both professionally and in business .
The necessary conditions for building a successful career are the personal factor, the need for achievement and self-fulfillment, forecasting professional future.
Today´s youth is trying to achieve success in the process of professional and personal self-determination. The success of the individual is often assessed from the perspective of its material prosperity, pragmatism, individualism, and mobility.  In modern social reality young people are dominated with pragmatic motivation: job application and (or) further education abroad . The knowledge of foreign languages helps young people to open new wide horizons.
In the process of developing their personal and professional capacity people face the contradiction, when their closest professional environment has already mastered, but there are still some reserves for further growth. One of the ways to solve this problem is the continuing professional education .
Tolochek V.A. considers a career as:
- Professional promotion, professional growth, transition from one professional stage to another;
- Dynamics and the whole sequence of stages of human development in basic areas of life (work, family, leisure);
- Dynamics of socio-economic and status-role positions;
- A form of social activity of people;
- The success of human life;
- People´s desire to achieve a definite status which allows them to meet their needs more fully;
- Active promotion of human in their development and improving the ways of life that ensures their stability in the social life;
- A successful life as a whole;
- People´s own judgments of successes and failures;
- Relationship of personal and professional development of the individual .
We can single out the most important psychological components of career. They are nature of goals which are set by people when they start their social activity, a system of motives, a degree of actualization of specialist´s skills.
We can identify the following mechanisms of a career process:
- Internal sources - activity, energy of a person;
- External sources - social environment (needs, interests of society, etc.);
The career strategy is a way of promotion designed to make optimal use of the driving mechanisms, and weaken the effect of any constraints and resistance.
The process of professional self-promoting in the professional environment is initiated by the external environment, as well as by the personal development and is one of the most important manifestations of mental development of a person, his becoming a full member of the society of professionals and - more broadly - of the social community as a whole .
The modern idea of a successful career includes a number of conditions for effective adaptation of graduates in the labor market, namely: to relate to career development adequately, to be informed of employment in certain professional fields, to develop the ability to look for work and develop the competencies demanded in the labor market. One of the most significant of these is the linguistic competence .
The research, conducted by the Centre The Economist Intelligence Unit, gave the forecast of major trends of the global labor market in the next 15 years. Thus, a further growth of companies will lead to the need for efficient use of labor resources and establish new economic links between the participants in the global market, increasing the demand for professionals who speak foreign languages. Hired professionals must possess the following qualities: communication skills, creativity, flexibility, openness, mobility, ability to respond adequately to the tasks and make the necessary decisions .
We should mention the strengthening international labor migration which affected our country as well. Dynamic transformations of social reality in modern Russia produce a number of objective and subjective factors that stimulate professionals to get additional education. The expansion of the communicative environment and the need to use innovative technologies, the Internet as professional tools of the modern person increase the importance of foreign languages.
Knowledge of foreign languages ensures that graduates are prepared to work productively in global educational and professional environment, to expand the professional needs of the individual, to improve the quality of training, to provide professional development of a specialist.
A foreign language is one of the major factors in the success of future specialist training, the formation of his ideas of the diversity of the surrounding world and his rapid adaptation to changing conditions of life and work, as well as his self-promotion in the professional environment.
- Dorokhova S.V. In-depth study of a foreign language by junior students in the idea of teachers and parents // Psychological Science and Education. - 2007. - № 1. - P. 103-107.
- Ismagilov D. Career Development Center as acmeologic technology of professional development of managers of enterprises [electronic resource]. - Electron. text, graph., Sv. lan. and applied. progr. November 18, 2005. - Http: // flogiston.ru / articles / labour / center_akme.
- Personality and occupation: psychological support and maintenance / study. Textbook for students of Higher. Ped. Institutions / L.M. Mitina, Y.A. Korelyakov, G.V. Shavyrina and others, ed. L.M. Mitina. - M.: Publishing House Academia, 2005. - 336.
- Tolochek V.A. Modern psychology of work. - St. Petersburg: Peter, 2005. - 479 p.
- Trends in the labor market in the world and Russia. 01.03.2008 [electronic resource]. - Electron. text, graph., Sv. lan. and applied. progr. (56 Kb). -Http: // jobeasy.ru / index.php? Fn = show_news & prm = 124.
- Shamionov R.M. Notions of social success and self-determination of youth [electronic resource] / R.M. Shamionov, A.R. Tugusheva // Electronic Journal «Psychological Science and Education». - 2009. - № 3. - Www.psyedu.ru. - ISSN :2074-5885.
- Yudenkov O.N. Career self-determination of graduates and the possibility of their careers [electronic resource]. - Electron. text, graph., Sv. lan. and applied. progr. (40,5 KB). - Http://www.kspu.ru/folders/__x-folder-webcache/1/Konferencii_po_uchebno_metodicheskoi_rabote/2006/
- Zikic J. Job search and social cognitive theory: The role of career-relevant activities / Jelena Zikic, M.Alan Saks // Journal of Vacational Behavior. - 2009. - №74. - P. 117-127.