The article presents some basic principles of evaluating activity of medical institutions according to a «Self-evaluation» – correspondence to a management model that the institution selects as a standard.
An improvement in activity of a medical institution is grounded upon regular analysis of a real condition of work according to quality of its results (A.A. Kaliniskaya, A.K. Dzuayev, 2009, V.M. Levanov, 2012, V.O. Schepin, L.F. Molchanova, A.A. Kaliniskaya, E.Y. Shaktova, 2011).
In the world practice comprehensive analysis of an organization activity that is carried out by employees of this company, has been called «Self-evaluation». It is an overall and systematic analysis of an institution’s activity and its results in comparison to a selected standard.
Self-evaluation takes place according to a model of management that has been selected by a certain institution as an ideal example. It can be a model of bonuses for quality or any other international standard (e.g. standards of ISO 9000) or a model, developed within the institution.
All models of business perfection base upon eight fundamental principles that correspond to the concept of «Universal management according to quality» – total quality management (TQM). It is a direction towards a consumer; leadership and consequent achievement of goals; management of understanding process and facts; involvement of the personnel; continuous cognitive activity and innovations; development of partnership; public relations; orientation towards results. All quality management models of the world as well as models of managing quality of medical care have evolved according to principles of TQM and stages of development of study of quality management.
Self-evaluation according to models of bonuses for quality has become extremely popular during recent years. The most widely-spread in the world practice are: the model of Deming bonus – in Japan, model of Malcolm Boldridge bonus – in the USA, model of the European bonus. In Russia such management model is a one that corresponds to criterions of the bonus of the Government of Russian Federation in the area of quality that is harmonized with the model of perfection of the European fund of quality management (EFQM ExcellenceModel) and used in the contest of European quality contest.
Correspondence to the bonus of the Government of Russian Federation in the area of quality is evaluated according to nine criterions. Each of them is divided into components that contain special evaluation lines. Evaluation is carried out according to an expert method via charging percents that describe achievements of scientists in every component.
Let us outline some advantages of this approach:
– It provides an objective quantitative evaluation according to a unite general criterion complex in terms of a selected model;
– It allows one to evaluate dynamics of an institution development;
– It allows an institution to compare its activity with that of other institutions that participate in a contest;
– It reveals relations between achievements and implemented methods;
– It reveals strong points and areas that are to improve, including processes that need to be improved;
– It stimulates study and implementation of experience of other institutions.
Facilitation of self-evaluation is also supported by developers of ISO 9000 standards. As an attachment to the national standard GOST R ISO 9000-2010 «Systems of quality management. Guideline for a continuous improvement» recommendations on self-evaluation are given. The very standard serves as a model in it.
The following definition is given in this standard: «Self-evaluation of an organization is a comprehensive and systematic analysis of activity of this organization and its results according to the system of quality management or the perfection model (e.g. model of bonus of quality)». The same document claims that self-evaluation is a type of activity that is implemented in estimating the system of quality management (SQM) as well as its audits and analysis. In other words, self-evaluation can be used to estimate an organization’s activity as a whole, and its SQM only.
Methodic guides in facilitating method of self-evaluation in terms of SQM (according to the standards of ISO 9000) recommend:
– The higher management should create an organization that is directed towards a consumer via using correspondent approaches to evaluate improvement of processes such as self-evaluation and analysis by leaders;
– Results of audits and self-evaluation of an organization should serve as an initial data in estimating efficiency of quality management system that considers interests of consumers and other interested parties;
– Self-evaluation should be discussed regularly in order to evaluate the completeness of the development of quality management system, organization’s operation level, and also to find possibilities for future improvements.
– Results of self-evaluation should serve as an information source in studying correction measures;
– Data of self-evaluation can be used as initial data to support processes of improvement.
The work was submitted to International Scientific Conference «Innovative medical technologies», France (Paris), March, 15-22, 2013, сame to the editorial office on 29.04.2013.